- To responsibly merge business strategy and service goals with organizational mission to obtain desired results
- To harness the power of social media, online community, interactive play and “game-ful design” (ethical gamification) for communication, collaboration, and to develop organizational resilience
- To rationally guide organizations and communities through periods of critical change & growth
Leadership and Management Skills Summary
- Managed organizations during periods of rapid change including growth, contraction, incorporation, acquisition and leadership transition
- Hired and led diverse, multidisciplinary teams, integrating technical, creative and marketing talent
- Recruited, served on and chaired board of directors, advisory boards and executive committees
- Inspired, motivated and managed grassroots volunteers in local, national and international organizations
- Researched, created and presented strategic business plans, investor proposals, funding appeals to
- major individual, institutional & grassroots donors & responses to foundation and public agency RFPs Mentored entrepreneurs and nonprofit leaders
- Organized and hosted expert panels, technical conferences and industry expos
- Drafted & revised governance, finance and compliance documents, procedure and employee manuals
- Prepared, reviewed and submitted incorporation documents, quarterly filings, annual reports and
- budgets for LLCs, S and C corporations and nonprofits including 501(c)3 tax-exempt status applications
- Advised federal, local and state government agencies and programs
- Served as strategic online campaign consultant to Congressional and Senate candidates and their staff
- Trained and educated via workshops, hands-on labs, teleconferencing and videoconferencing
- Authored, review and edited print articles and blog posts, recorded audio and video podcasts
Technical Skills Summary
- Highly proficient with WordPress CMS, XHTML, CSS, and wiki software including MediaWiki, PBWorks, Google Sites, WikiSpaces. Experienced with Drupal, Joomla, Socialtext, Movable Type, CivicSpace
- Transmedia marketing communications, public education strategy development and implementation,
- Integrating traditional media with new media channels such as blogging, podcasting and webinars, along with social media including Twitter, Facebook and YouTube and mobile messaging (SMS)
- Online community building, managing, member support and forum moderation
- Developing, conducting demographic & psychographic research using sophisticated online survey tools
- Digital video & audio recording, editing and compression for streaming on YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- ISP and website hosting setup, configuration and support; domain name search and registration
- Highly proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet and presentation software using various productivity and online collaboration suites, including Google Apps (Docs, Spreadsheet, Presentation, etc), Apple iWorks (Pages, Numbers, Keynote), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio), Zoho Office
- Database applications including MySQL, Filemaker Pro, etc., basic SQL queries
- Setup, configuration, maintenance and training support for many different CMS, email and scheduling applications including Gmail, Google Calendar, Apple Mail and Calendar, Microsoft Outlook, Eudora, etc.
- Able to easily and rapidly learn, use and become proficient in any computer software application.
- Representative Engagements:
Strategic Consultant, Online Community, New Media Expert Advisor
NEW MEDIA ADVISOR, Aids.gov, US Dept of Health and Human Services
- Advised Director of AIDS.gov and his team in strategic integration and technical use of new media tools and technologies for public health education and information campaigns
- Coordinated and helped organize agency’s 1st live webinar with top officials & public health bloggers
- Provided weekly editorial and technical review for AIDS.gov Blog.
- Contributed original website content in compliance with Plain Language guidelines.
- Representative writing includes these 4 articles on AIDS.gov in the “Using New Media” section:
STRATEGIC PLANNING CONSULTANT, Beyond War
- Developed Internet-centric strategic business plan for Beyond War nonprofit corporation
- Presented plan to Board of Directors, was unanimously approved
- Led to hiring as Executive Director to implement plan
ONLINE CAMPAIGN CONSULTANT, Congressional, Senate & Policy Advocacy Campaigns
- Advised candidates, campaign staff, initiatives and diverse organizations on use of internet, web and social media tools and technologies, for communications, community-building & collaboration
DIRECTOR, INTERACTIVE STRATEGY & CONTENT, IMAX Environmental Film Project
- Worked with noted producer, writer, cinematographers & scientists on development of IMAX feature film
- Crafted integrated, transmedia promotional campaign, including alternate reality game (ARG).
Executive Leader, Director, Program and Project Manager
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: Beyond War
- Increased donor income over 200% while decreasing corporate expenses
- Diversified funding sources to reduce dependency risk, initiated online monthly sustainer programs
- Grew mailing list by 30%, membership by 50% and increased active volunteer chapters by 200%
- Opened new international office, hired professional staff, launched European expansion
- Rebranded, new website, online community and social media campaign for younger, global audience
- Wrote & edited marketing communications including mailings, blog posts, videos and audio podcasts
PROJECT DEVELOPER: Stand Up & Be Counted:
A Survey of Massachusetts Artists on Their Work Lives, Socioeconomic Status, Access to Healthcare, and Medical & Non-Medical Debt
- Co-designed, developed & compiled report for first statewide online census/survey of working artists
- Reached more than 34,000 respondents in Massachusetts.
- Publication led to state policy changes and Congressional attention, inspired projects in other states.
PROJECT LEADER: National Education Initiative with Public Broadcasting
- Conceived & designed virtual reality-based collaborative learning system. Responded to RFP from Corporation for Public Broadcasting to revolutionize the teaching of American history and civics.
- Partnered with OPB, Nat’l Center for History in the Schools (NCHS), James Burke’s Knowledge Web
- Recruited top advisors from games, market research, artificial intelligence, education
- Secured over $40,000 in pro bono consulting
- Negotiated 1st open source contract in PBS history
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, Kaon Interactive
- Lead writer & community developer for Terra, groundbreaking MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online game) Coordinated successful beta launch & grassroots marketing campaign
- Created strong player community that persists to this day, 12 years after game was discontinued
- Conducted successful national press tour resulting in favorable reviews in the Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Newsweek and other prominent publications including Wired Magazine and numerous online review and industry news sites
Entrepreneur, Startup Executive
FOUNDER & EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, Public Interest Entertainment Corporation (PIECORP)
- 1st nonprofit 501(c)3 interactive game studio dedicated to creating socially constructive, open-source MMO online games
- Created national partnership for new media educational initiative in response to CPB RFP
VICE PRESIDENT, Venice Technologies
- Developed innovative strategies for online game distribution by independent developers
FOUNDER AND CEO, Planetary Arts
- First commercial, socially responsible online game studio.
- Recruited leading creative talent and thought leaders as staff, advisors and board of directors
- Conducted market research, technological forecasts, financial projections & competitive risk analysis
- Developed business plan, presented to angel & venture capital investors, secured early financing
- Negotiated vendor, employee and investor contracts
FOUNDER AND CHIEF CONSULTANT, GALIEL New Media
- Built pioneering web development firm with offices in Boston & Manhattan
Clients included NYNEX, AT&T, Anderson & Lembke, Fujitsu Cultural Technologies, ONEIL Communications, Medical Support Systems, NESN, Atlantic Rancher, and many others
- Researched, proposed and secured client and sub-contractor contracts
CO-FOUNDER, PRINCIPAL PARTNER, Grand Design Interactive, LLC (GDI)
- Developed new technology and POS delivery mechanism for remotely marketing, selling, qualifying, verifying, activating and disbursing cellular phones using off-the-shelf components
- Conducted sales presentations to mobile industry leaders including AT&T, McCaw Cellular, Sprint
- Negotiated acquisition of GDI by Lightbridge, Inc
Trainer, Educator, Communicator and Public Speaker 1998-Present
- Popular speaker on new media adoption, online community & values-driven leadership. Featured conference speaker & presenter at local, national and international forums.
- Sold-out workshops for Public Policy Institute, Youth At Risk, Institute for Healthcare Improvement, American Marketing Assoc.
- Oft-cited 2004 article on open source culture & new peer-production, “A Lever Long Enough: Value driven enterprise in the networked information economy” http://galiel.com/pie/aleverlongenough.pdf, led to invited participation in 2007’s groundbreaking “Union Square Sessions 3: Hacking Philanthropy” with leading entrepreneurs, technologists, investors, philanthropists, and analysts, including Craig Newmark, Scott Heifferman, Bob Young, Ami Dar, and Jonathan Soros.
Media Appearances Include:
Radioactivity with Rob Lorei, WMNF Tampa (live radio call-in)
http://www.wmnf.org/news_stories/8719 NOTE: Galiel appears in the 2nd half of show
The Christian Science Monitor
Current, the public broadcasting newspaper
FM4, the alternative youth station of the Austrian Broadcast Corporation
Pro Bono Service
Board of Directors:
Project Think Different (now amplifyme), Rebel Shakespeare Company, US Artists Alliance (co-founder)
ChickTech, trovi.co, PDXGearCon
ArtWorks and Digital Forum at MA Interactive Media Council (MIMC)
Boston Computer Society (BCS) Virtual Reality Group
American Marketing Association
Board of Directors, Executive Committee:
Creative Economy Association of the North Shore (CEANS),
City of Beaverton Committee for Citizen Involvement
Governance, Technology Committees:
Marblehead Community Charter Public School
Portland Games For Change, Pétanque-Pétanque Meetup
References are available upon request.